Wednesday, January 25, 2006

once upon a time in Navan

Here's something from Navan, that always made me smile broadly at times reminiscing about.

One day in the week before the exam we were busy finding patients with good clinical signs to be examined at. After lunch Yanie and I went to do chest examinations on this lady, and came to conclude that she had a previous heart valve replacement based on our humble clinical findings. One thing was missing, we couldn't appreciate the 'click' from the valve on chest auscultations. Something fishy must been going on we thought, or was it just two unskilled medical students making assumptions. So we bumped into our Arab mate, Y who had previously seen that patient.

"Do you know that she had an AVR (aortic valve replacement) before?"


"Yes she did."

"But why was there no 'click' or anything like that? I thought you'll hear 'click' with prosthetic valve won't you?"

"Yes you will, but she had no brosthetic valve, she had big valve."

"No no, but she had a valve put in!" Typical big-headed me, it's always going to be my rule.

"Yes I know that. OK let's go and see her chart (patient's medical notes) if you want," typical Y, smooth and readily adapted to my stubbornness.

So we went to the chart's trolley.

"See I told you she had a valve, ah ha got'cha! I was right, she had a tissue valve put in!" Face glowed with winning streaks.

"Yes that's what I said, she had big valve."

"Oh no you didn't, you said she had no prosthetic valve. You said she only had big valve!"

"Yes I said that, it was not brosthetic valve, it was a big valve. A valve from big!" This time he smiled once, turned away and left us dubiously.

"Weh aku rasa dia nak cakap makcik tu ada PIG valve la bukan prosthetic valve," kata Yanie sambil menyiku-nyiku perutku.

Alamak.


post-scriptum:
  • tissue valve = pig valve; it's either prosthetic (artificial) valve or tissue valve they take from PIG, the closest being to human form (in terms of heart valves)
  • due to language discrepancy, some Arabs usually can't pronounce the letter P correctly, coz not like our Jawi letters they don't have 'pa' in Arabic. So most adapt and use B instead of P when speaking.
  • I wasn't screwed up, he knew it was a 'healthy' arguement. Ha ha.