Tuesday, April 04, 2006

the day she crossed her fingers

One day we used to engage ourselves in a very serious conversations digging our opinions on the shariah laws, hudud laws, and all these internationally opiniated matters. We found some common grounds from my strict Catholic friend who's level of faith and virtues are quite high; I thank her parents who sent her to a Catholic boarding school ran by bunch of nuns, she gave me some hopes when I thought the world has become a lesser place to live in, at least this part of the world has. On the contrary, my partner begged to differ from what we've said. "Well I think both ways suck, you know man-made rules always have flaws." "Yes they are, that's why we always make the laws from what has been outlined from our Book." "Oh your Book or whoever Book's it is, it's still the same, they're all written by men." Well, that was where we came about to our fork junction. She has been, by far, the most diligent atheist I've ever dealt with.

But sometimes, even a devout atheist succumbs to the hands of God in his/her most desperate moment. Today she fell in a trap of her own. You know everyone has his/her own bad-hair-day, but what happened today was worst. She cried, if I were her I'd cry too. The defining moment was about to come when I saw her sitting quietly on her chair with her both fingers crossed, she was praying. Then suddenly came the secretary and straigtened everything out. She was off the hook, saved by the Power she has relied on to help her. Even maybe for just once in her lifetime, she had believed in another Power that's controlling what's unreachable by normal being.

It was indeed historic, on the day she crossed her fingers.