Thursday, May 18, 2006

duvet talk: antara usaha dan logik..

Once in the middle of an exam week I put my YM status as: "Ngantuknye, kopi ni tipuuuu..". Yep, that night my strong sugarless black coffee infusion didn't work on my system and I wonder why.

Not long after that accusative statement being put up I received a buzz from one of my adiks here, she gave me a huge ha-ha on that line and said how cute I was being (OK I add that myself). Before ending the conversation she simply said to me, "Takpe, K.Shu doa kat Allah mintak supaya tak ngantuk utk study ni OK!" I thought- how cute and naive she was being, it's like my 7 years old nephew Naqib always said on everything, "Takpe haaa nanti Acu doa je kat Allah mintak Dia kasi Acu duit banyak, lepas tu boleh belikan Akib light saber!" Although he definitely got the wrong concept of growing money out of nothingness, the pure concept of submission unto God The Almighty on everything that he has in his mind is something I have sometimes overlooked and taken for granted.

Logic serves; u drink coffee and the caffeine increases your metabolisms and makes your heart works harder to pump more blood to your brain. Logically and normally in a healthy being, you should NOT feel sleepy after caffeine ingestions, right? Hey I have friends who would be elated and smiling and talking all day long after drinking a can of coke, like I said, in a normal subject caffeine makes one hyper-everything. So why was I still sleepy that night?

Let's look at a different case. Logically, when a person gives out his/her 100% efforts to surpass an ordeal to reach a certain target, he/she should get what he/she's aiming for in the end. Because he/she has really worked in according to what it takes to achieve. That's LOGIC. But sometimes people still fails despite their great efforts. Betul tak?

Why?

Coz human tends to forget that there's another Power out there ruling what's reachable and unreachable, what we think logic and illogic and what's likable and despicable; He who rules everything.

Coffee will make you sleepy if He wants to, and you will eventually fail at your best efforts if He doesn't allow you to achieve. What's logical suddenly seemed illogical in His controls, and that's something we should put our faith in. That's why scientists who depend on logics solely can go crazy if their findings oppose what they always thought as logic or should be-. The emergence of many school of sciences demands people to use more logics to think;
jika, A = Hairol
dan, B = Nasi Goreng Ayam Berlada
apabila A memakan B,
maka = logiklah A akan kenyang dan B akan hilang
dan = tak logik A akan bertambah lapar dan B akan berganda menjadi dua set

(typical la ilmu penaakulan yg kita belajar kat sekolah menengah dulu);

I don't blame this teaching at all in fact I think it's great, but holding on too tightly on logics in great imbalance can lead to excess that abandons us to realize that there's Allah the Almighty, the One who controls the world and its lives and deaths. That's why people commits suicide when their million dollar worth of investments on a project that was growing finely suddenly collapsed.

Coz they don't know that maybe Allah makes them lost their great worldly investments to clear their sins so that in the hereafter they don't have to carry the carcasses of riba', or maybe Allah makes them feel sleepy after a cup of coffee to prevent them from staying up late and didn't wake up for fajr prayer the next morning, maybe Allah fails them the first time so they could learn and grow out of their failures to become a better achiever later.

It all comes back to the concept of working purely for the sake of Allah SWT, or my friend used to say in layman's term, "usaha lebih penting, end results Allah yang tentukan.." We will be rewarded for the work and efforts we do in order to achieve, and if we win the trophy at the end of it that's a bonus for us. Winning is not justified by looking at the end product of our works, coz the destiny of our lives has all been written by Allah SWT; be it good or bad we don't know. Our duty is to work the journey towards what's destined for us in the most humble and sincere submission to Him, and with that comes the greatest rewards we can attain for the life in the hereafter.

We won't know what'll be served on our plate later, but if we don't work hard to earn the food from the very beginning then what options do we have other than not eating? In opposite sometimes people gets 'lucky' and eats eventually, but won't the food taste better if we earn every single spoon of it? (It's a really nice morning and I decided to use metaphores). And verily, the luckiest person in the world is the one who is grateful on whatever food Allah has given on his/her plate after he/she has put the best efforts to earn the food; be it tasty or bland. Period.

So I'll keep drinking my black coffee and trying my best to stay awake, and I will make du'a to Allah to grant me bright eyes (and heart), but I know in the end it's Him that'll decide whether I shall be awake or asleep. That's me, people of faith and science, inshaAllah.

Cukuplah Allah kuandalkan hidupku dan matiku.