Saturday, January 24, 2009

the world of little people

Greetings people of the earth (and in betweens).

As expected, updates are slow once work resumed. As negatively anticipated, I've started my back to back killer on-calls of no sleep, attending coughing and vomiting kids, running to sectioned and meconium deliveries, squeezing babies hands and feet for bloods. Pure evil. I've calculated this - so almost 3-4 days in a week that I will be sleeping with my shoes and scarf on, bleep tucked to the scrubs collar for maximum chance of hearing the bleep when it went off - just in case aku tidur mati tetiba. Baby doctor, not a good lifestyle.

BTW, I just found out that they call the IV cannula 'Freddie' here.


Freddie? WTH?! Macam comel la kan..

Anywhoo, I realized that the key to liking your job is to understand what's going on with it (that includes forcing yourself into liking it and after that doesn't work, forcing yourself into understanding it). I used to be scared sh*t of little babies, and still is when some came out blue or didn't cry from the mommies wombs. Their crucial first 30-60 seconds of lives are in my untrained hands. Like my mum said when I told her the stories - "Jaga jaga nak, dekat sini ada doktor tu sambut anak orang sampai patah tangan bayi tu." Takpe Mak, that's the obstretician's fault not the paediatrician's. He he.

I have a congenital dislikeness to anything obstetrics & gynaecology FYI. However I still found the journey of conceiving, carrying a baby in your womb and delivering one is magical and would love to undergo it myself for once or twice in future. Kot ada yang salah faham pulak.

OK enough about bloodbath labour rooms.

What happened recently - history saw the inauguration of America's 44th president, also bulan mengambang dekat by-election K. Terengganu, and my roommate's sister's best friend's sister-in-law (jauh connection tapi nak cerita jugak tu) passed away in a road traffic accident after the small car she drove got hit from behind and set ablazed in fire. Innalillah. Reminded me to avoid speeding in this very icy condition these days.

Speaking of the new president-elect, do you know that Obama has Irish root? Apparently his ancestors were from Moneygal in Co. Offaly. I think everyone EVENTUALLY has some Irish roots in their bloods when tracing back the family tree, seriously.

Few days ago as a comeback from long holidays I dressed up nicely to work to gain people's first impressions (lepas ni boleh comot balik). While doing the routine baby checks the nurse called me to review this Irish baby who she thought was grunting. I went into the room slowly (high heels sound echoed through the corridor) and greeted the mother. She saw me and then said,

Are you Dr McCormack, the paediatrician who's looking after my baby?

Err, nooo.. (awkward silence). I'm one of the doctors in the team though.
(Seriously, do I look like someone whose surname is McCormack to you?)

You see, not only Obama and Sarimah has Irish bloods beb. I apparently look like someone who does too!