Saturday, April 05, 2008

Saturday musing


Happy weekend in the spring. Yes I was up early (miracle) and prepared breakfast for myself (another miracle).

One week really crawled. By the time I finished OLLH, I will be wrinkled and aged. Not that I haven't got those now. I miss home and les enfants. I kept wondering what on bl**dy earth am I still doing here. Home is so good FYI.

Oh well tough life..

On another note, I saw this patient yesterday in A&E with new onset PR bleeding. Suspecting an underlying malignancy I asked her, "Have you been losing weight recently? Or did you noticed your pants or clothes have becoming more loosen or big?" She answered, "Yeah I think my pants are loosen. From being washed too much." Pfftt (tried hard not to laugh).

A&E has been interesting. Other than few hiccups (no system is perfect, well certainly not OLLH anyway), I am learning so much there. From chest pain to chest drain to bleeding from down below and up above. Also the kids who fell and banged their heads on the floor when they missed kicking the football to the ones who sprayed Domestos All-Purpose Cleaner in their eyes. I braved myself and succeeded cannulation in those poor kiddies and suturing cuts in their hands.

Oh yes, alhamdulillah on the dawn of March 15th (Malaysian time), I was offered an SHO post in Paediatrics in the General Professional Training (GPT) scheme at one of Dublin children's hospitals. I was in disbelief, tertunduk malu, coz Allah SWT has been answering me eventhough I haven't served Him the best that I could. Insaf lagi.

Yes that training will include 2 more years of my life in Ireland, which 6 months will be in OLLH again for the peripheral hospital posting. Goodness gracious.. (tarik tarik rambut sendiri).

Cheerios. Enjoy le weekend!

p.s: All the best to the Final Professional Exam sitters, it's just one of those hard moments that every single one of us in this field has to endure. And best believe you will look back and laugh yourself thinking about it once it's over, such an experience..