Friday, January 07, 2005

Winter 2004

Talking about writing everyday huh, my ow my, what happened to me and my holidays. Cut short, let me go straight to my every point

MY SO-CALLED HEALTHY PROGRAMME
I started very good with my restriction on rice and eating only brown bread. I went to play bball once and then got stucked on my newly treasured sport, squash. I never knew squash would be so much fun than tennis, I'd be the next Nicole Davids if I knew this earlier. Yeah rite. Seriously, I was a serious dumbbell when I started playing tennis, and I guess even till now I never really master the sport. But in squash, it only took me a day to learn the rules and skills one got to have, and voila, I'm pretty good in it (well if it's not myself, who'd praise me afterall). Anyway, on the second day I played squash, I went back catwalking all 45 minutes way back home, when it'll only take 15 minutes on the usual day. There were blisters on the medial sides of my feet, thanks to my not so intelligent move of wearing loose climbing shoes instead of my proper sport shoes on doing vigorous exercise. That was definitely a turn-off for my exercise programme, and the pitfall for my healthy diet started when PUISI '04 commenced. It was the barakah of eating in a tray that made one really really enjoys the presence of food I guess, and it continues on till now. What a disaster for me, I must stop eating. Ruined me.

PUISI '04
It was held in Glendalough, about an hour from the heart of Dublin I presumed. To make an evaluation of every aspect is impossible, but by far this was the best winter gathering in the past 3 ones I've attended in Dublin. Pengisian-wise, I gave full marks on that, rather bizarre to know I never realized how empty I was inside till I had someone to knock me on the head reminding me to feed my empty soul. All 3 penceramah were from Univ of Aberdeen doing masters programme, and all are fairly young for the usual age one finds an ustaz. They were all great penceramah, the fact that they are young make them 'closer' to the hearts of the participants I guess, so all things said were absorbed fairly well.


Breathtaking isn't it? (Subhanallah). Come to Dublin and I'll bring U here (promote Dublin)

Parallel to the activities, this year’s winter gathering was when I treasured friendship. My high-schoolmate cum partner in crime, Yah came from Sheffield and that was the first time I met her since SPM results came out. What could I say, all memories splattered back and we were all giggling reminiscing the good times we had back then. Yah was one of those closest to me, it started when she was thrown in Block C that was dominated by the Sapphire house members. She was the dorm leader of the room next to mine and also my duty partner who always ended up being my company to the toilet or anywhere I went when we were on duties in the hostel areas (I was a real coward back then, hey I’ve improved now OK). We always ended up in the same duty group that made us became permanent duty partners even when others had changed theirs, yeah she was cursed to be my partner I guess. Hehe. Anyway, Yah had to go back to Sheffield in the middle of the programme, leaving me and my memories alone in Glendalough.

Mek Yah, how could I forget the time when we had to sing ‘Sukiyaki’ during our sea trip (KLD Tunas Samudera), the fishes in the sea must’ve had a hard time coping on to our lovely voices. Next time mung datang Dublin dok kabo aku dulu siap mung. Dusyumm..


Blue-tagged people of PUISI'04

CHRISTMAS & BOXING DAY
After PUISI ended, we accommodated few guests from Southampton and Belfast for lunch and dinner, just as courtesy for friends and guests who’ve come all the way to attend our PUISI. Seronok jumpa orang. Anyway, it was snowy on Christmas day but it didn’t last that long. Each year there’s always a day or two when thin snow would fall and being in the third year, I was less excited than my juniors in the house. Kasik can la, I’ve been there. On that day, we only stayed at home in the cold conserving energy as much as we could while watching back to back friends from noon till near midnight, by then I was euphoric of my laughs-turned-to-just-grins. 27th was the day, the awaited boxing day. My friends from Galway came to Dublin for the day and spent the night in my place. I don’t know what happened but I was out of control for my own purse, at the end of the day, it was me who spent the most when I should only be the guide person for my friends from Galway who actually spent much lesser than me. Hehe, typical I say. Ironically, I didn’t even feel guilty about it, I deserve that for all my hardworks I guess (well even if I don’t, I really really need to shop those stuff in one go as I might not have time to do it bit by bit later, exam restriction). After all, it’s my form of self-indulgence for the exam, before and the one coming, and what’s done is done, I’m totally satisfied about it. \(^_*)/


Snow yang turun suam-suam kuku on Christmas Day at our backyard. Sapa nampak snow dalam gambar ni aku bagi seposen.

PMS COVENTRY
Well well, I had this strong reluctant feeling of going at first, a change is really hard to initiate. One day before going I was still unsure whether I should go or not, even after I was done packing my stuff. What could I do, I’ve already bought the ticket. So I gather all my strength, reroute my niat in the heart, lilLahita’ala, and by the time I realized about it I was already on my way to Birmingham. All the worries and queasy feelings disappeared by the warmth welcome I got from the people in Coventry. I travelled with a friend who was in the committee of the gathering so I reached the place a day earlier than the actual starting day. That made me unofficially a helper in the run of the programme. I got my ample time to know most of the senior sisters that came from all over UK, with their families and cute children. To know them was one inspirational experience, u never could imagine how this group of Muslim professionals dedicate their time and efforts in order to perform da’awah to others. One odd thing was, they all looked familiar to me, seriously. One day I told one of the senior sisters over there about this and she said back to me “Dah tertulis nak berjumpa, itu yang rasa dekat dlm hati kot,”. True.

Anyway, the speakers were mind blowing, it was actually them that made me decided to attend this gathering at the first place. All three are famous figures in the UK, Dr. Kamal Helbawy, Sister Elizabeth Penny/ Sister Eeman and my favourite Dr. Azzam Tamimi. Their talks were truly an eye-opener for the ignorant me, especially Dr. Tamimi, a Palestinian born who’s currently living in the UK. Other than that, I enjoyed all forums being held, especially the forum amongst the sisters only. Oh anyway, I’ll be getting the video recording of the 3 talks given by the invited speakers in a CD, anyone interested in viewing? Trust me, U won’t regret it.

Another thing I really love about this gathering was the children, man they are one fine next generations I’d say. I was attached to this 5-years-old daughter of one of the seniors, she made me a book using a folded A4 paper and wrote a story in it and keep it in my coat pocket. Each time she saw me she’ll be reaching into my pocket to make sure I keep the piece of paper in it. Last thing she said before she got into the car on the last day was “ Make sure U keep the book in your pocket OK Kakak Shu. I’ll be seeing U again when U come to Coventry.” Oh I miss that kid.


Uswah (brown dress) and me.

I went back to Dublin with a heavy heart, of the memories I got from Coventry, and of the fact that school started in the next few days and I was not even ready for that. But honestly, most of it was from the former.

There they were, the stories of my not-co-called holidays. I enjoyed most events I had, and I’m looking forward for the coming events in the next academic year, inshaAllah. As for now, I have my Medicine& Surgery exam on this coming 29th which mark the starting of my Second Professional Examinations. I’m going to face it, ready or not, so I better start from now. So from now pardon me if I give lack attentions to you blog, U know I still love U. Hehe. Wish me all the luck in the world, may the force be with me.