Sunday, December 31, 2006

of rendang overdose, eid-ul-adha and Saddam's execution

I woke up early today as my stomach responded naturally to the overloading rendang I had yesterday from eid. Oh yes, selamat menyambut hari raya aidiladha to the Muslims all around the world. I brought myself to remember one important event that's happening today far across on the other part of the world, that is the Saddam Hussein's execution. Turned on the laptop and the radio in my room, didn't wanna wake up a friend who was fast asleep in the lounge. As I read the news all over the internet, I couldn't help the mixed feelings I had. Anger, sadness, remorse, anger, confused, shame, anger again. I don't know. The 3 minutes video of his execution brought a little tears to my eyes. Maybe it was my fear of death and the hereafter more so than witnessing Saddam's pulseless head mercilessly overhanged with the crowd roaring out loud in the background. God what is happening to the world?

I remember asking one of my close Arab friends about her view on Saddam's regime. Having to see her own dad taken away by Saddam's troop during the Iraq-Kuwait war (Gulf War) in the 90's, she was just relieved when they returned him unscratched after being held in caption overnight and has a tough view pertinent to Saddam's business eversince. Myself, living in a peaceful country with my dad coming home every evening to have dinner with the whole family, I don't know which side should I pick. I'm angry the fact that Saddam's dictatorship had caused a lot of chaos and discords between the Arab world, fuming the Sunni-Syiah conflicts and ripping the people of the religion apart . But I do think it's just horrendous the oil-driven-play that Mr. Bush has put up toying Iraq as if people's innocent lives have no value at all. I think it's demoralizing and insulting to the religion as well that the execution was held on one of the holiest days of us Muslims when they literally slaughter a Muslim as a qurban. And I think it's the lowest level of sadness and grieve seeing a group of Muslims with different views cheering on another Muslim's moment of death.

I am indeed only talking from a peek view from outside the glass house. There's a lot to learn; for us Muslims, from this event. I have a lot of doubts when Bush mentioned in the news that the execution will put an end to the Iraqis sufferings under Saddam's regime. I pray in my daily prayers that Allah SWT protects and gives victory the Muslims all over the world.