Saturday, September 08, 2007

so I heard it's coming

It's gonna be Ramadhan next week. One of my colleagues asked about it and put on a pity-you intonation on to it with - owh is it really, I don't know how are you gonna survive - and later surprised when I answered - I'm actually really looking forward to the month - with my honest and no-single-doubt expression on to it.

The fact is I am really honestly. It's just that the year has been long, and a weak being like me who sometimes loses touch on the continuity of my amal needs a good month to remind me to rejuvenate my weaken imaan, before it's too late I supposed.

I still remember clearly the past Ramadhan spent here. One of the best things I would miss this year would be praying tarawikh with my housemates. We would take turns to lead the prayers, on some days when the tummies were full from overeating and the eyes were too heavy, we would remind each other about the wrong verses recited. After that we would go into our rooms and started reading the Quran. It was like a race with time, a month was too short for the 30 juzk and being females, well you know the story. So imagine the final nights of the month when everyone's catching up with the lagged juzk, you could hear from the lounge the tranquility of silence broken by some slow voices of verses from the Quran being recited. So peaceful.

As with last year, I got a special delivery of dates (tamar) from an Arab friend, this year even before Ramadhan. Simply one of the best bunch I've ever had, just because they're picked and given to me fresh from the trees.

I had dreams that this year I'd spend Ramadhan at home, after years being away. In my dreams mom served me warm milk with dates for suhoor, and we'd still be around the table though half-asleep and not eating. Breakfasting would be colourful and varieties, mostly on drinks. My sisters and I would follow mum and dad to the mosque for tarawikh. Oh you know the guys in the family, they'd go in their own cars. Moreh is something to look forward to, as always. Towards the end of the month the sisters and I would start baking cookies and cakes. A lot new recipes, a lot of fun.

Hmm. I guess dreams would be dreams.



1. Kids & bird (toy)
2. Mesmerizing
3. Jimmy
4. Happy hours
5. Naqib

Alas, Ramadhan Kareem everyone!