Friday, August 15, 2008

ma chere et bon maman

Dear Mak,

I got a bad toothache for 3 days. I became dependent on painkillers, which you know I can't take anything stronger than PCM. So I kept waking up in the middle of the night when the effect of the medication weaned off, from the pulsating one side of the jaw. I went to work with an asymmetry face and noticed by my boss. She was kind enough to give me an afternoon off for the dental appointment. So I went and got charged a freaking EUR110 for a simple saline injection and a prescription for antibiotic. Heck I can do that myself. No I'm telling you lies, I can't. My mouth is too sore.

It's getting better now. The boss gave me a bouquet of flower in a vase yesterday. No she didn't actually. But it's complicated to explain - the end point is she gave me the flower and I took it home. It's a nice bouquet. She said it's for the toothache. Thank you boss!



You know Mak,

Italian food is one of the best delicacies on my tongue after our local rations. It's because of the spices they use and sometimes they can be quite generous on their chillis and spices, which are the essential components of a good cooking. And you know how much I love pastas. It's a pity you are not here now. Coz I can cook you one of my best recipes for white sauce and tomato based pastas. I know they'll never beat your sambal nasi lemak and daging masak asam pedas but I'd love it if you can taste them.

There was a local market being set up in front of my apartment. I love this area because it's so cultural, there's always something going on every week. There's a cultural cinema one block away from me as well. Anyway, I went to this Italian stall today evening after work. They have the Italian essentials of cook ingredients sold there. I got myself a bottle of extra virgin olive oil coz the one at home has finished and this jar of mixed vegetables and chillies in sunflower oil with tarallini . Ah heavenly.



La Cannonata, means the cannon shot

Nonetheless Mak,

I learned that food is tasteless when eating on your own. I totally lost interest in cooking coz I'd end up eating them alone. I know you won't like it if I said that I've been eating meggi mee only these past few days. Pathetic. 2 days ago I was passing by the local so-called Chinatown area of Dublin on the way home. I stopped at one shop to buy water and found out they sold telur masin. One egg for EUR1! Now you know how much I miss home. I bought one anyway and ate it with meggi tonight. It tasted perfect. Well it has to be for the cost. You remember when I was a kid I sneaked into the kitchen one evening during Ramadhan to eat telur masin and got caught by you for not fasting. He he. I miss those times.




Well Mom. So glad it's finally Friday. I'm working Sunday anyway. I'll prolly be old and kerepot when I can finally have my full weekend off.

I miss you so.