Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Athens 04 Fever

I just couldn't go to sleep early nowadays. It's the game, I know, but I simply couldn't contain myself from watching it. Exciting. Too much excitements. Especially at the poolside for swimming. OK I'm not a pervert who likes to watch people in swimsuits, it's the sport itself, and IAN THORPE. Man he's a swimgod and a true torpedo. With the whole-body black swimsuit and the yellow swimcap, adding the credits for not showing his bareskins and the underlying bulking muscles, he is the true champion of the pool. Been watching him swimming from the early years of his international appearance and now still, I think he is a great example of an athlete who has consistency, determination, modesty etc that make him always the title holder, plus the donations and the funds he made for the cancer society and the people in need. Oh OK I sounded too much all over him, I'm not OK. It's not him as if HIM THE LOOK (he's not that cute by the way but I like the humble look on his face :p) , he is just my good example of people with great devotions over thing they do for a living.

Comparing to some national athletes we have in our country which I think don't take sporting events they're involved in seriously, just think about what has happened now to the old Watson Nyambek or Azmi Ibrahim, or the national boxer who obtained a gold medal back then in SUKOM 98, uh I forgot the name already, or how about our national hockey team which once has a very good reputation? Where have all these people gone now? They are known for the time they succeed in a major game, and maybe few years after that before their names dissappeared in time. Don't blame the genetics of having short limbs or small posture, how come the small Japanese made it to gold in swimming when we can't? I think it's the attitude that matters, when a student doctor attends classes, keeps track with the lecture notes, goes to the wards, does some personal research, with extra hours of prayers, he surely has booked himself a place of a great doctor/surgeon in the future. Same goes to the athletes. Believe me, I had lived in Majlis Sukan Negara, Bukit Jalil for 2 weeks before my archery tournaments and mingled with the national athletes. They were all very nice and friendly people, but I don't really see the attitude of an athlete who strives to become a better one in them. It was like holidays in there. Oh I'm not judging them based on my 2 weeks observation, it's cruel and injustice to do so. But what the heck, I think it's the mentality of our own people who still not believing that we're capable of achieving something internationally that put us where we are now still.

Did I tell u that I like the leaves thingy they give the medalists in Athens? Yes it's the rounded thing they put on the head of the athletes, with the pale green leaves around it. It's simply classical and inimitable. And I wonder how those athletes could just throw that thing away to the roaring crowds. Man u've earned that, keep it for goodness's sake!!

Oh yes, it's Rejab again. Let us all fill this month of blesses with things that lead us closer to Him. Ameen.