Friday, February 23, 2007

TAGGED on WEIRD (by Anem)

RULES: People who are tagged should write a blog post of 6 weird things about them as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don't forget to leave a comment that says 'you are tagged' in their comments and tell them to read your blog.

1. This one I picked up the earlier years in med school. Instead of saying my/one's/the/this, I use you/your whenever I explain something. For example, back in pre-clinical years when I had the anatomy oral on Fridays when the lecturer asked (while handling me a bone), "Tell me about this bone; what is it and where are the anatomical positions of the other related structures and what are they?" My typical answer would be something like this (while holding the bone in my hand and pointing at the spesific sites when explaining), "This is a humerus. You would have your radial nerve running in the radial groove and your ulnar nerve on your medial condyle. Prolonged compression of the radial nerve would leave you having what's called the 'Saturday night palsy' and you'd ended up having a wrist drop". Then the lecturer (especially the non-Caucasian ones) would sometimes answer me, "Firstly, that is neither my bone nor my radial and ulnar nerves, but secondly, you are correct." He he..

2. I have my very own superstitious beliefs. I know I always laugh at my mom's very odd superstitions, but I couldn't help myself to keep some of mine, secretly sometimes. Things like, "Oh God my tudung feels so wrong today, something bad is happening I know!" and I keep the best pair of socks to be worn on the best predicted day of the week believing it would make a difference if I don't. But nothing seriously related to the religion and also not on scientifically explainable stuff, not like Izzy Steven's corrupted belief when she said "Sometimes I would eat the butter when other people don't see and actually believe that the calories don't count that way." I'm a people of science, sorry. Though my mom's top of the list superstitions still get me smiling stupidly on my own sometimes, like when I complaint about the blisters on my feet after wearing the new pair of shoes she'd say, "Itula lain kali sebelum pakai kasut baru kene gigit dulu kasut tu pastu cakap kuat2 - sebelum engkau gigit aku, baik aku gigit engkau dulu.." Ha ha ha.. I love you lar Mak..

3. I relate the thing that's happening around me to songs. Whenever my friend tells me about her problems with her boyfriend, I would sing to her, "If it makes you happy, it can't be that baddd, if it makes you happy, then what the heck are you so saddd.. (Sheryl Crow)" I know I know not the best advice. I sometimes just sing that slowly in my heart just in case. And when it rains outside I'd definitely go, "Kiss the raiiiinnnn, whenever you miss me..Kiss the raaiinn, whenever I'm gone too long..(Billie Myers)" and suddenly thunder strikes and I quickly tune in to, "Thunder only happens when it's raining, players only love you when they're playing..(The Coors)". I don't think you wanna hear more example. Not going down that boyband stuff etc etc.

4. I relate people's face to celebrities or famous figures. So in the hospital we actually have Dr Steve Martin (I think he's a Prof now- a gastroenterologist anyway, and a great one!), Prof Horatio (from CSI Miami) who's a really smooth guy that made one of my Arab girlfriends crazy about him day and night (this is really fell in love not like my monkey love on every other mildly smart-looking-and-nice male doctors who said Hi to me on the wards), and then Mr Jack (from Lost), my bone surgeon during my orthopaedics rotation; and more people and celebrities on the list..

5. On certain issues, I don't like what the majorities love. So instead of Dato' Siti Nurhaliza I prefer Dayang Nurfaezah. Instead of purple or blue I like orange or green. Unless the quality is rather unequivocal. My theory says something like this. When you love eating this cake but you know you can only savour a tiny piece of it coz there's hundreds of people sharing the same likeness as yours. You lose interest on it in the end. Korang mesti cakap tamaknya budak ni..haha..this is just one of my eccentric metaphors I use. Don't be too bothered about it.

6. Albeit my strongest soft skills being facial recognitions and remembering scripts/lyrics/dialogues, I pretty suck in directions and my sense of time and space. Wait till you see me giving you directions like pegi kanan while my hand pointing kiri. One time I was passing the Cyberjaya area and saw a big sign saying Taman Putra Perdana and got excited thinking that I'm pretty closed to my sister's house. Later I found out that the sign I saw was directing towards a real taman as in a garden not my sister's taman perumahan which was actually in Puchong! See how I don't make sense of the space? Though I've actually improved a bit I must say on my directions, a tiny bit! But don't even start on my sense of time..

I think we all have our weirdness in a way or two. That makes each of us unique. As long as we don't go against our natural rules I think we're fine. Be a bit different but not so eccentric.

My tags go out to: Niesa Yasir, Niesa Rashid, Ika, Hani, Ili if you're reading this (and drop me a link) and K.Syu. Feel free to do at your own leisure time. Sekian, I gotta read the book.