Sunday, February 04, 2007

the unconditional love

I remember being in a Nephrology clinic one afternoon. The consultant came and gave a thick chart to me. "I want you to see this lady with a very sad background story. She had an accident few years ago and went into coma for a long time. She has peripheral vascular disease and subsequently had one of her leg amputated. She's also blind in one eye from the accident. Her GP sent her coz her Creatinine was over the roof. She's also complaining of pain in her toes which sounded like gout. I think in due time she needs to be on dialysis coz her kidneys are failing."

So I went out to the waiting area and called the name. Came this lady with a guy pushing her on the wheelchair. They're in their late 30's but she looked aged, maybe from her health problems. Her husband on the other hand appeared smart. Moderate. I greeted her and briefly introduced myself. We went into one of the rooms.

I was ready for any 'sad' story my consultant was saying.

No doubt she was in pain from the gout. And she didn't look so well. I suspected she developed a lot of complications from being sedentary having one leg and one eye, she prolly has underlying heart disease God knows. But somehow I could sense that she's happy. Very happy. From the stories she said how her husband helped her in a lot of stuff and has been putting up with her in difficult times. When I was about to look at her toes the husband bent down and gently removed the one shoe that she wore. The joint on big toe was swollen and tender. Other than that she also had some kind of evident peripheral vascular disease. The leg didn't look good.

The consultant came and I presented her case. He had a brief talk with her, having to know the patient for few years now. He asked whether she was OK with the possibility of going to dialysis soon. And also the big decision of another leg amputation if symptoms persist. If I were her I would've call it some way of sudah jatuh ditimpa tangga (mungkin lampu yg nak dipasang tu kemudian jatuh pecah atas badanku). She was surprisingly calm by the news. Her husband too, holding her shoulders tightly. I knew it there and then from the gesture that she had the rock solid support from someone that love her, that actually shielded her from any fear for what future may be. After a good discussion they agreed to come in at the suggested time to have an AV fistula performed on her arm for the dialysis. Then the husband gently put on the shoe back on her one foot and tied the lace. They went home right after.

Leaving me with a lot of questions on life and love.

How can someone love you so much that it doesn't bother him that you are not pretty?
How can someone love you so much that he's ok that you only have one leg, and about to lose another one soon?
How can someone love you so much that he's able to agree that you'll be in the hospital 3 times a week for few hours to have your bloods filtered, prolly for life if transplant does't happen?
How can someone love you so much when you are blind in one eye?
How can someone love you so much while he's still young and has a lot of other potentials, but still stick with his sad sad wife who's not even as pretty as she used to be and just have a crappy life? Period.

Ain't it strange how love works?

You met a guy and got married. Suddenly God wanted to test you and shit happened. But you turned up to be fine. Just fine. Coz this stranger you met once who got married to you is there for every difficult times you had.

I know when you say the unconditional love your parents show you, coz you're their blood and breed. What about this stranger that came into your life half-way through. How does that one work?

Probably for me it's more to ask would that one ever gonna work for me (if things occur)?

p/s: just on the side note to you who's speculating, i'm not in love or anything..