Thursday, April 26, 2007

of dermatomyositis and ulat cikgu

I can't believe I survived the past 3 days in one piece.

The written papers were pure 2 and 1/2 hours of torture (and times 2), MCQs weren't that easy either. Somehow I saw the shiny forehead of Prof Bukit glistening with his bright smiles (and gray teeth) saying a big fat "in your face, students!" while I was trying my best to search somewhere in my brain the answers for some very random questions he put in the papers. I am now leaving my fate in God's hands, I tried my best that's what I'm holding on to now.

First lesson of the day is on dermatomyositis. That's the CXR up there and here is the article. Wish me the best of luck for data OSCE tomorrow.

After the last written paper

If there's any resemblance in all of us it'd be the eyes.

I used to have a partial nanny when I was in Standard 2 and 3 in a primary school in Terengganu. My mum who was at that time still a teacher went to work in the morning and in those years I had the afternoon sessions or we call it sekolah petang, so nobody was there to look after me in the morning till afternoon before school. So my mum left me at this Makcik, who we simply called Mokcik, the Terengganu way he he.

I remember I loved her wooden house so much, me and few other kids from the neighbourhood whom she looked after too used to go under the house and play cari ulat cikgu. It's like this. You take a strand of your long hair and tie a big red ant at the end of it. We always used a kerengga, as they're easy to find. Then you go to the tiny sand hills under the house, well if you're familiar with a wooden house built on gray dusky sands (like the ones near the beach), you should know that they've got these little hills made of those sands under the house. And yep, it's the ulat cikgu that built the little hills and they live in them. Got the idea? Nevermind if you don't. So you simply put the ant on top of the hill and it will crawl inside and voila - catches one of the ulat cikgu. Hahaha pure joy..

Then Mokcik, realizing our disappearance, will usually look for us and shout out loud in her high-pitched old woman style, "Buak mende tu? Maghi sini makang mokcik masok puluk kelapa same ikang masing.." (laughing, I failed at my terannu kite dialect though lived there for 12 years)

Today the thought of her crossed my mind while I was reading stuff. How is she doing? I mean is she still alive? I really hope she is, and well too. I haven't been back to Dungun for 7 years now, last time I went there she looked so aged. I wish for her good health and wealth, thanking her for the sweet childhood that I had..