Saturday, January 12, 2008

all hail fast internet connection & digital tv..

I was contemplating which internet company would I use this time, since NTL broadband provides no service to the new place. Funny enough, as it is in the heart of Dublin's city where I live now. So I was calculating and juggling things in my head, between getting a decent home broadband but having to wait for at least few weeks for the installation date, or getting a quick plug and play internet with no guarantee of the service quality.

Nah, I was desperate too. As there's no internet in OLLH other than in the library, I was thinking what would I do when I'm on-call over the weekend in between times in the res? So what I exactly need now is - an internet connection small enough to bring around with adequate service to satisfy my digital needs. So 5 minutes before the shops closed a week ago, I stepped in the phone shop and 5 minutes later came home with this brilliant gadget. Yes, all hail to the latest internet technology!!


3DataModem

With the speed of 3.6mbps, one can now surf the internet with only this little modem attached to the computer via a USB cable. As long as there's 3 mobile coverage in the area, this mobile broadband will definitely work for you. I found 3 mobile provides the best service if compared with other similar mobile broadband rivals from O2 and Vodafone. The modem is slightly costly but with the winter offer it was down to the same price as O2. You'll only be paying EUR19.99 monthly with or without 3 mobile account, where else for O2 it is double without the account. And in few months time, 3 will increase the speed to 6.4mbps! Even better. The only probable downside is the download limit which is 10GB. Coverage wise, for my own use both at home and in OLLH I have adequate uninterrupted coverage so far. So to conclude, after 5 days of trial, this little mobile broadband technology is simply exceptional!

And today as well, the NTL guys came to install the digital TV into the place. Not that I'm a TV person, but 2 weeks without the usual norms of Friends over dinner after work is pretty much disruptive.

So I'm back to usual me; with fast internet connection, coffee and digital tv..