Monday, July 21, 2008

spent

When you diagnosed a 5 months old baby with HIV positive from a supposed-to-be HIV negative mum, things can get a bit more complicated than a simple run of treatments. Has mom been playing around? Or daddy did? What about other kids? Do we need to test them as well? Has someone been lying? Etc etc. My last on-call on Friday, I had a 4 months old who kept seizing on me for almost 1 hour and a half despite the treatments. He ended each bout of seizure with high-pitch cries suffering his non-stop overactive brain activities. Then I had another kid turned blue with rattling breath sounds drowning in his own lung secretions. They're both palliative patients.

Yes when you say palliative or NFR (not for resuscitations) you'd imagined your old grannies with end-stage cancer. But this is a couple of 4 months old, whose lives are basically incompatible to live. Things are certainly a lot more traumatic mentally and physically than they normally are.

So am I still into this profession? Yes indeed.

On a lighter note, I think paeds surgery is the hottest profession ever! Well other than the fact that one of them is really hot as well that is..haha..My green button has been switched on again after so long. I have now another reason to wake up early to go to work everyday. Hehe kidding..

I saw a little girl who looked like Yaya today in the clinic. How I missed her so much.


It has been a stressful week last week and just started to get busy again this week by the look of today. I came home with my stress-induced urticaria, again. I only have a pair of hands and legs but torn to be at multiple places at one time. Sue them for not having any interns in paeds!

Went home and watched Grease. It has been almost a month with no TV for me, not even TV rakyat. It's almost magical how I survived life without the box. Here's an excerpt from the movie, ah nobody can ever beat JT in his seluar singkat and leather jacket. So much fun. Enjoy.



You're the one that I want..uh uh uuuuuu honey...