Friday, July 11, 2008

just the right time to stretch the legs and chill..


It's a bliss really when you know that you have the full weekend off. Yayyy. Yes I love my job but I love my weekends more.

It's bizarre really. Yanie if you're reading this. Today I admitted the second patient that I've met before when I was a medical student. I remember exactly it was in the same day ward, just different bed, and Yanie and I took the history from the patient's dad. She was admitted for her monthly intravenous immunoglobulin infusion for hypogammaglobulinaemia. It's funny coz today when I went to them the dad immediately said, "I think I've met you before?! Here in this ward at the bed over there." Hehe. I said, "Yeah I was about to say the same thing as well." That was 1 year ago. Time really flies ha. Now she's grown taller, still a cutie.

The other patient was a little boy Yanie and I went in to see his feeding study in the radiology department. If you still remember him Yanie. The boy who went to Sweden for ECMO. I'm sure you do. We were told by the consultant radiologist that she improvised and baked barium cookies for the feeding studies. Cool innit? Cookies with barium for contrast. Hehe.

Anyway, that boy was admitted under my team again last week. He's a real heartbreaker. Having survived ECMO, 2 cardiac arrest, seizure and stroke, recurrent pneumonias, now breathing via tracheostomy and using BIPAP. And he's only 2ish years old. Still managed to wave goodbye with his good hand (right hemiparesis) and blew me a flying kiss when I discharged him. A real heartbreaker.

That's my job. A lot of cheeky monkeys and chickens who's a real heartbreaker...

Enough on the work. Yes it's weekend. I was contemplating and I realized I missed the familiar people so much now when we used to hang out on weekends cracking good jokes. Maybe it's just me. Going a bit mellow.


Haha not saying anything really. I got this fruit flavoured fizzy sweets from clinic today. Can you imagine they're giving these sweets to the kids. Apekah?

I was tagged by Ikha - my Man-ual partner. Hehe. Here goes.

7 facts.
Think I did this before.

1. I drank coffee too much that my pee smells like one. I go dysfunction without them. It's recent really. I used to be OK going 2 or 3 cups a day. With the stress level and workloads these days, I need at least 5 or 6 at work. Few more at home. I plan for detox in 2 years time. Serious.

2. I've always put on a brave face and act like one but I'm actually quite a cowardice. That's when it comes to hantu, driving (partly encountered), cengkerik, lipas, tikus, binatang yang merangkak (crawling insects?). I never leave my room in silence. Wake up and turn on the radio. No creepy goosebumps silence please.

3. I'm a bit mellow when it comes to goodbyes of closed ones. Just can't deal with them properly. I used to cry each time my parents dropped me back to school after going on weekend overnight at home. That was all through form 1 to form 5. And my house was like only 30 minutes away from the school. Ya ya I'm melodramatic whatever..

4. I said to myself that I wanted to do medicine since I was in form 3 and picked RCSI to go to (since the name sounded so cool back then), I also said that I want to do Paediatrics in the fourth year of medical school. So far so good alhamdulillah.

5. I secretly have an exit plan if I go burn out. That is to work as a coffee barista in my own coffee shop. I even have the concept and arrangements planned. Guess it's not a secret anymore.

6. Can't seem to get rid of the old procrastination habit. Even if I wake up 15 minutes earlier than the usual time to spare that 15 minutes for breakfast or just a little extra minutes to breathe and not rushing in the morning, I'll still end up wasting that 15 minutes on stupid things like staring into thin air until I realize that I'm late and ended up rushing myself to work in the end with no breakfast.

7. I love singing and I always have a background tune playing at the back of my head. Almost like an auditory hallucination. Hehe. Though I don't have a good voice but hell who cares. I did win the second place (or third?) with IzaKusha, Sabrina and Salha during talent time in school anyway. Singing Backstreet Boys songs. Every year without failing. Haha. Those were the days. Go BSB...hahahaa..

That's 14 facts including the last 7s. On top of whatever you've learned about me indirectly from reading the blog. That's too much you think?

Enjoy le weekend!