Friday, August 24, 2007

he's gone for real, after raining there shall be sunshine...

Just to let you know that Mr Smith died that night at 3.30AM. The next morning I went up to the ward seeing an empty bed 11. Heartbroken I was. I knew I shouldn't be attached to my patients but I simply can't help it. I threw away the request forms and letters I wrote to order his home oxygen from my folder. He never got a chance to use it. I will always remember the good times spent with him.

People come and go. Oh well..

(you'll never know when's your turn gonna be)

Our long list of patients after team on-call last week has gone shorter again. Phew. We have this one old patient this time who seems to be staying with us for a long time in future. I saw her by myself in the morning. It was a bright morning and nice predicted weather throughout. She suddenly said in a low and slow monotonous voice while staring blankly to the wall,

"It is very nice and sunny today. Everyone will go out today and tomorrow. What they don't know is tomorrow's gonna be raining heavily. They'll be wet. And frustrated. Because they don't know this. And I know."

Me in my medically tuned head had some big question marks of ??acute confusion ??acute delirium or she might be or used to be a ??fortune-teller ??clairvoyant??

After a long pause she then told me that she just rang the hotline for weather forecast and has been doing that everyday just to know what's the weather like for the day or the week.

Ha ha kene tipu ngan makcik tua..

(maju betullah makcik ni..aku pun taktau nombor hotline weather forecast..)

Motivated by her 'prophecy' on the day, I decided to take a short evening trip to Howth with my housemate cum colleague afterwork. A soft vanilla ice cream cone and a fresh fried cod with fries to fill in the hungry tummy.




Glad it's weekend..