Saturday, August 04, 2007

honey, how was on-call?

*my imaginary future greeting from the hubby in my perfect (imaginary) future life

Oh dear! (3rd person auditory hallucinations)

You see, I love to talk about my work. I know I sounded a bit narcissist, but I actually do love my field. Well not fully now as I'm at the bottommost of the hierarchy doing dog jobs, but deep down I know I will eventually fall for this wholly.

The on-call was a great one. I had a solid 5 hours sleep. Beat that, ha ha. It's just one of those quiet nights and it was just purely my rezki it fell on my night. I was carrying the cardiac arrest bleep being the first intern on-call. So you would imagine I went to bed reluctantly to turn off the light, wearing my tudung, white coat and shoes on, and managed to keep in semi-REM semi-deep sleep mode. He he. Well yeah, just in case the arrest bleep went on.

It didn't surprisingly! Phew..

I got bleeped few times through but managed to pull out my "yeah will go up now to put the IV lines" card and eventually went up after 3 hours. Sorry I was too tired to gather myself up. We had a good run on the corridors and the stairs earlier in the morning when the arrest bleep went on loudly, the whole team ran like mad, arriving at the Neurology ward with the patient coming back to vitality. False alarm, she probably had a seizure and collapsed but didn't lose any pulse. Good run though *puffing like mad*

Well Yanie if you're reading this. Remember the Indian Rheumatology registrar who taught us once in WRH, well he's now in BH. I cannot stop smiling whenever I meet him, thinking about we once thought he has the charm to be in a Hindi film, but probably as the brother of the hero, not quite there yet to be the hero though, or probably can be the goody Inspektor Sahab! One time he came near me speaking Hindi to his friend on the mobile phone and I swear I had tears in my eyes trying to contain my nearly bursting giggles from my own thoughts (imagining him in the khakis brown policeman uniform singing Hindi songs with backup dancers). I probably did if you were there with me. He he.

Oh yes, there's this new Psychiatry registrar around. I think he's German. Tall and tanned (they said, I initially thought he's from the Down Under), additional points scored on the nerdy metal framed glasses and scruffy curly hair (I love scruffy curly hair!). Suddenly the infamous side of the hospital (psychiatry that is) became more eyed on. And suddenly almost all of my respiratory patients are in needing some degrees of psychiatric consults, and I, as the responsible intern of team, will try my best to meet their every aspect of psychiatric needs by sending a lot of consults and discussions with that Psychiatry registrar. That's my vow! *devilish grins*

Well I probably lose some point already (do I ever have any points at a first place? - grandiose hallucinations) this morning upon finishing the jobs in the A&E, I, in my most sloppy look of different coloured scrub suit (all good scrubs gone since morning, damn surgeons!), skewed scarf (from sleeping with scarf on), and a white-coat almost off-white from the bloods and ball pen stains, approached him to talk about our 2 new patients with what seems like auditory and visual hallucinations on top of their respiratory complaints. No no they are the REAL case believe me now..

So honey, my call wasn't that bad. Not at all..