Wednesday, August 15, 2007

amazingly unoccupied

I have been working with the other respiratory team for a month now. Although I miss my fatherly Big Boss whom I always look up to as a very good professor, teacher, mentor; I must say that I'm not regretting my switch of team to the new one at all. So my new boss now is Prof Horatio (imagine a younger version but very much alike Horatio Caine from CSI Miami, most smooth and thoughtful when talking and most irresistible when going all-youthful with sarcasms and cheeky grins ha ha). I have promised my friend that I'll try my best not to fall in love with him just in case ha ha ha..

On a serious note, it's actually more about the dynamics of the team that I like most. The new SHO is the most brilliant senior member of the team one could asked for. She gave me hopes when I thought I will always be at the downside of the learning curve. The registrar is superb too, plus a very sophisticated and radiant woman who actually kills my appetite for the fattening slice of cream cakes by just admiring her figures. Don't worry I bake my cake at home instead.

More importantly is my new intern colleague. Not that I don't have to work with the full-of-himself, ego-centric, holier-than-thou-attitude, not good looking at all ( a little bit mean here but who cares) intern from the previous team, I now have a new colleague who's very nice, humble and helpful. She's the best. I wouldn't asked for more than this seriously.

And most importantly, the team has created a history for having the least number of patients ever. Seven patients, with four long term patients who don't need that much of daily care. A total bliss. Oddly, I found being unoccupied put me in a very lagged phase. Prof H, noticing the situation gave me a very wise advice - "If you ask a quiet man to do a job, he won't be able to do it. If you ask a busy man to do more jobs, he'll be able to do them fine." Or something like that. He's dead right.

So the intern and I spent the day mostly finishing our research jobs, browsing through journals and going through the list of cute guys in the hospital and calculating the chances of flirting with them. OK the latter is a total make-up. And of course, more learning opportunities were opened when attending consults with the SHO and discussing about managements of patients. All of those made me feel like a real doctor rather than someone who's doing jobs blindly for the sake of completing what's being ordered by the 'above' members.

For a complete turn of the table, I am grateful for every opportunities served in front of me. Thank you dear God and don't stop guiding me through this.

Issue: waiting is a torment, missing you is a growing pain.