Sunday, August 26, 2007

living for the sake of You

I have a patient with Down's Syndrome, 60ish years old, under our care at the moment with right sided lobar pneumonia. When we first saw her there were these 2 old ladies present by her bedside. Attending her everyday I learned that they are her elder sisters. Later I learned that they have been spending their lifetime looking after their little sister with Down's Syndrome (and its complications). Not married, no other family, nothing else.

It's amazing how selfless people can be. You talk about sacrifices and what drives you towards them. As Muslims we open our eyes everyday in the morning with out niat to do everything for the sake of seeking Allah's love and mercy. Innasolati wanusuki wamahyaya wamamati lillahi rabbil 'alamin - Sesungguhnya solatku, ibadahku, hidupku, dan matiku, hanya untuk Allah Tuhan sekelian alam. The strengths and drives will then bud from those. And you wonder what drives these people for their actions. Pure moral? Pure love? Which all will expire once reaching their limits. Interesting ain't it?

On another note, it's hard to keep things in one piece when you're living in this dog eats dog world. I just realized that my intern colleague (the one in the old team that I hate so much) has just added another reason for me to hate him even more when I found out that he has been hogging all of the research by himself behind my back. A perfect male biatch.

It's this kind of thing that shatters my passion-driven reasons to stay in this alien land furthermore. Hospital politics. Yucks!