Wednesday, July 11, 2007

akhirnya dapat ku pulang sebelum pukul 8

I've been working solid hours 8AM-9PM for the past few days. It's killing me slowly (and I'd definitely claim the extra hours without a doubt!). It's so happened that this month I'm covering the ward for daily admissions, so on top of doing the work for my team I'm also doing admissions for the patients who came to the ward for any procedures the next day. And being me (slow), I tend not to rush things around, take my little chats with the patients and end up going home late. Padan lah muka kan!

The SHO has been very sweet, asking me to go home at 5PM and leave the late admissions to the interns on-call. Today he even dragged me out of the ward and chased me away. I walked back in anyway. He accused me of being workaholic. I wish I am though. I'm just slow, and it'll be soon for him to realize that. But don't you just hate sweet-talkers with cute face? I'll be reminding myself before I go to bed at night that he has a girlfriend already, and that I am a good Muslim (trying to be) and as my patient was saying the other day, "This is no Grey's Anatomy..". He he. Well I probably won't have to do that as it'll be only few seconds after I put my head onto the pillow that I'd go completely unconscious anyway.

The first deadly on-call was last Sunday. It was deadly indeed! Nobody died under my care don't worry. It's just that I was never so exhausted in my life. From early morning I was running up and down the wards trying to settle the list of jobs that seemed to be expanding every minute. If my bleep could talk I'm sure it'll be cursing all the way.

Starting 9AM, I only got my 30 minutes rest for prayers and lunch/dinner at 6PM, interrupted with bleeps as usual (somehow they just loooove my number), and continued working till 3AM at night. By then my mind was going haywire, I was so grumpy I swear I was so close to kick the next person's calling me for jobs' ass. I mean I understand we are all concern about the patients and they're our first priorities. It's just that when you're darn tired and you know you have to wake up at 6AM for your early morning bloods and you only got to sleep at nearly 4AM, how could you not feel like eating human flesh when you've got a bleep in the middle of your restricted sleep to go up to the ward to do an ECG on a patient who's asleep, no chest pain, but just that IN CASE he'd have one coz he has a previous heart attack years ago and the nurses thought that you might wanna check that, just IN CASE, at 5 in the morning!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhh, retardddddddddddddddddddsss!!!!

I didn't go up don't worry.

Few calls after that one to resite an IV cannula on this patient who apparently was well, been eating and no problem swallowing, just that the team who looked after him put him on 24 hours slow fluid to maintain hydration. The nurse said something like this when I asked questions about the condition of the patient over the phone, "Oh, it's the protocol that if the IV cannula is out that the intern has to come up and resite it. If you don't want to and if something happens to the patient then you'll take the full responsibilities!"

Anootherrrr retarddddd....

No one will die from not having a slow infusion of fluid for the next 2 hours of his/her life, well definitely not this patient anyway!

Did I yell at her back? Of course not (she yelled at me over the phone). Instead I just calmly said that I will take the full responsibilities and I will go up at 6 to do the IV line when I do the bloods later. When I did go there, I could feel flames coming out from my ears upon seeing the patient was happily singing in the bathroom while taking his shower, apparently not dead as the nurse would picture earlier. I gave the nurse my 'jelingan berbisa' before leaving the ward.

Again, I could understand it's their jobs to fix things in the ward, but please be considerate over things that are not emergency. The doctors need their sleep, we have to continue working the next day for another 12 hours before we can rest again. So, again, please be considerate. You're saving yourself and myself, from cursing people (from the inside), which I don't like. Well I'm not doing any generalizations, I agree there are a lot of SUPER nurses around too.

Oh that's enough whining from me. Like the SHO said on Monday when we were all tired from the post-call, "I sometimes hate my job, it's frustrating, tiring and dangerous for us and the patients. I'm just tired. And I'm a grumpy b**t**d I know. Can't help it though.."

We have our bad days I'm sure..