Monday, July 02, 2007

Day 1: SURVIVED!

I don't know about you guys, but I look forward to writing this entry for a long time now (just as a proof at the end of today that I'm still breathing allright) . So people, I SURVIVED THE FIRST DAY OF WORK! *woooot wooooot* ALHAMDULILLAH!

So for the sake of future entries on workstuff, I will from now on address the following people as follow;

1) Consultant: Big Boss

Tall, broad shouldered, fatherly look, most inspiring when teaching also when giving advices, big into cystic fibrosis (I mean really BIG, like got referral from the States for advices), away on holidays this week!

2) Registrar: Small Boss

Moderate height, curly burgundy hair, mostly Irish features, talks very fast, works very fast, means business everytime, but a nice person overall, I see a future hope as a good mentor.

3) Senior House Officer: SHO

Small for a guy, cute Irish accent, smooth and kind, good teacher, a 2nd year SHO at 24 years old (I envy him!!), dating another cute SHO for 5 months now (first day gossips)

4) Intern*

Tall and lean, diagnosed himself with ADHD, talks too fast, jittery and sweaty most of the times, big into philosophy, the cute SHO my current SHO's seeing (up there) is his recent ex (I thought this will be too awkward, but they seemed OK with that. Man now I think they're just an awkward bunch. What a world!)

*not too confuse people but I'm also an intern and he's my teammate, but from now on if I mention intern that'll be him unless stated otherwise

So today was smooth sailing for a lot of us, mainly because we were sh*t like scared the day before so prepared for every possible outcomes for today. As for myself, other than mentally rehearsing the procedures (putting IV lines, taking bloods) times and times again in my head the night before, I was left with prayers and hopes that I'd pass through the day fine. God answered my prayers for the first day of work, I passed the day allright. Alhamdulillah. The Small Boss was most understanding, giving us chances and time, allowing first few hiccups and led us through. The SHO was the cutest teacher I'll ever have. He's too kind. Nuff said. Well those are on the first day impression basis.

If you asked how it feels like being a doctor, well the first ward round I had with the team part of me was still playing the med student's role, like a space-cowboy most of the times, minds everywhere till the Small Boss mentioned about things to order then only I grabbed hold of my thoughts and decided that I needed to keep in focus. One time the nurse called out loud "Doctor!" and I turned to my back and searched for the doctor she was looking for, till I realized that she was actually calling for me, the Doctor! God it felt awkward in the beginning really!

So first day went allright. First IV line put in with no difficulties, first few bloods taken, first consent with the help of some medical students, you get me right, first day as a doctor I've already had the students doing consents and physical examinations for me haha. Big bully am I? No I think they'll learn a lot that way. I did when I was a student anyway.

And not to forget the kind-hearted nurses who had mercy on me on my first day of work. I think I explained myself best from the anxious and nervous face I had all day which managed to fish out sympathies most of the times. Muchas gracias! It was no play, I was in fact sh*t like nervous. OK no swearing I know.

So outcomes and plans after surviving Day 1
  1. work faster
  2. manage the time better in order to be able to pray zuhur earlier
  3. keep up the good rapport with the staff
  4. avoid backbiting
  5. keep the friends close, and the enemies closer he he
  6. work harder and keep things steady and low at the same time
At the end of the day, I'm just plain grateful that I'm still breathing. Thanks to Allah..